Skip to content
Do you have any tips for success?
- Play it safe – Always build a contingency fund into your budget – about 10 per cent of construction costs is a sensible safety net.
- Monitor – keep close eye on costs to ensure you stay within budget.
- Be flexible – The unexpected may happen in a self build. Stay calm and roll with it.
- Get Value – Always shop around for the best quality at the best price that will suit what you need – e.g. get multiple quotes from builders, compare quality of work and prices of a few architects.
- Planning process – Do your research. Have an idea of what to expect. Find out what the local planning board have said yes and no to in the area you wish to build in recent years.
- Get the right people – It’s no use an architect being brilliant if you cannot get on with them or communicate with them. Get a feel for the people you are contemplating to take on pivotal roles in your build before you hire them. Never hire someone without checking out their references and inspecting their previous work.